Day 1 – Meet & Greet Invitational | Participating Organizations : Gandhi Brigade, Reel Works & BAVC
Youth media makers and community activists get together to network and mingle. Fun filled night of breaking the ice and grounding ourselves in the mission of the summit. We’ll set the intent and plan for our collaborative media project.
Day 2 – Collaborative Neighborhood Project | Participating Organizations : Gandhi Brigade, Reel Works, BAVC, Identity, Common Ground and CASA de Maryland Youth
We challenge ourselves to make thoughtful and purposeful media with our colleagues. We focus this year on documenting the challenges of a local neighborhood. Our youth media producers meet youth community advocates to tell their stories. Final Project to be presented at showcase.
- Activity : “Where I’m From” Poems – Students find common themes and stories
- Activity : Visualize and Map Themes – Host students act as virtual tour guides and map their personal stories. Groups will plan shooting destinations and create shot lists based on their maps.
Day 3 – YMAS Summit and Showcase at the Silver Spring Civic Building
A day where we invite more youth advocates, media makers, mentors and the like to come and experience the power and inspiration of the youth voice. A full day of hands on workshops beginning with screening different issue-oriented media based on topics including homelessness, identity, education reform, immigration, bullying and others. Participants will learn scriptwriting, acting, spoken word, narrative and documentary film making techniques and will work collaboratively to complete media projects by the end of the day
- Workshops I: Screenings and Q&A | Participants will choose 1 of 5 themed workshops to screen each other’s work and generate media projects inspired by their peer’s work.
- IDENTITY – Multimedia Poetry Lab
- RETHINKING EDUCATION – Narrative Storytelling Lab
- VIOLENCE and HOPE – Documentary Storytelling Lab
- HOME – Studio Art workshop
- IMMIGRATION RIGHTS – Media Advancing Movements workshop
- Workshops II : Multimedia Project Production
- 6PM – 7:30PM : Showcase : Curated films will screen followed by summit projects